One Woman...Too Many Pounds

I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I grew up fat and in college I became Morbidly Obese! I was able to loose over 70lbs on my own with diet and exercise in my early twenties. Unfortunately; I encountered a major setback for me...a cheating boyfriend; which led me to stop going to the gym and I, again, used food for comfort. At my heaviest I was over 320lbs. The day I had gastric bypass surgery (5-5-05) I weight 292.2 lbs. After surgery I lost 108# at my lowest weight; which also happened to be when I met my husband. I would bounce back and forth about 20lbs and the day I was engaged (1.18.09) I weighed 210 lbs. I joined the gym and knew I needed and wanted to loose weight before my wedding. The day of my wedding (8.14.09) I weighed 192lbs, when I came home from my honey moon 1 week later I weight 184lbs! I felt sexy and thin and happy. Oct 26th 2009 I had gained about 10-15 lbs back and had a positive pregnancy test. Our beautiful blessing; Emma Paige Morris was born 6.19.10. I gained 65+ lbs during my pregnancy, weighing in at 265lbs the day I delievered. 3.5 months later I got back on my weight loss goals and lost 20lbs immediately. My baby girl is now 8 months old and I am STUCK at 222.2 lbs! I am 18lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight (well first trimester weight really) and 40lbs away from my post-honeymoon weight. I am struggling with this journey and thought maybe, maybe I can find kindred souls to share this journey with and maybe even help others in the process. I really, Really wanted to be back to my post-honeymoon weight on my 2yr anniversary (8.14.11). That date is only 5.5 months away; approximately 8lbs a month. Seems resonable but I am struggling. Please Join me on my journey. Share your own; commiserate with me and lets support each other as we become healthy and active. I know I will never be a skinny-minnie, I will probably never wear a size smaller than 12-14; but I want and need to be healthy and active for my little girl. I do NOT want to be an embarraseement to her; like my parents were/are to me because of their size, health, and inactivity.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Dilemma - Dining Out

So all of us who have been on a specific diet plan or weight loss plan know the dilemma of dining out.  But at some point in this journey we all face it!  I don't know about the rest of you, but when faced with dining out, especially when I'm  doing well with my eating habits; I get a little anxious about it.  What will I order?  How far off my diet will it take me?  Will there be any healthy options there?  What do I do?

This past Friday we went out to a Mexican restaurant for my sister's birthday.  Mexican...yum...damnit...a salad is not an option.  So I thought about it and I briefly considering not worrying about it but I didn't want to do that so I developed a plan.

Plan part 1 - go to the gym and do a vigorous elliptical workout after work (I was limited on time because dinner was at 6, 45min away and I didn't get off work till 330) so I did 30 min on the elliptical. Part 1 accomplished.

Plan part 2 - I had once read somewhere that the fajita choice at a Mexican restaurant is the healthiest option if....you don't eat a lot of the tortilla, no sour cream and no guacamole.  So I developed a menu plan.  Order the fajitas, fish if possible for lower cal/fat protein and ...here is where it gets weird.  A: bring my own tortillas. I had some multi grain flat wrap thingies that were only 100 cal and huge, so I took 2 of them, cut them in half to make "round tortillas" and put them in a plastic bag.  B: Avoid sour cream...So I like Greek yogurt and when you don't add anything sweet to it it makes a great low cal low fat and high protein sour cream so...I put some into a four once container (used be baby food) knowing that would be only 60cals if I even used it all.  C: Avoid gauc. (darn :(  ).  So I got a fresh avocado which is full of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids and healthy fats, I cut it in have and diced one half and put it in another contained to use instead of Guac. 

At the restaurant I felt a little silly with my own sides, but lucky for my I had them in my baby girls food bad with her stuff so i t sort of just looked like it was mine.  The first thing I did was get rid of the Guac; give my niece the tortillas from the restaurant and carefully pick the tomatoes out of the sour cream.  I used my own tortillas, Greek yogurt and avocado and made a healthier version of their tortilla.  Part 2 accomplished

So, the main lesson learned is that yes, we can enjoy dining out without simply ordering a boring salad with low fat or fat/free dressing.  You may feel silly or stupid but you know what, you being more healthy and true to yourself! 

So; enjoy dining out and make a plan ahead of time, and STICK TO IT! 
If you want a drink, i recommend limiting yourself to one...just one...and not one Gigantic one, and not a long island iced tea (over 750 cals in one long island).  Wine is a descent choice, especially red.  Another good option is a sprite or diet sprite with clear rum or vodka...only 1 though peeps!

Good luck on your next dining out adventure and feel free to share your dining out ideas/tips while trying to loose weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your thoughts, comments, suggestions, concerns or share your stories. Please remember that weight loss is an emotionally laden subject...be kind...if you can't...don't leave any comments.